View Single Post
Old 06-26-22, 08:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I simply carry a Zephal HPX on all my bikes. Small enough bore to get any tire to 120psi plus. Long enough barrel that I rarely pump 100 strokesa for any kingd of tire. 38s to a road pressure of 65-70 psi - no big deal. So I just ride to the gravel at full pressure, bleed 'till it feels right, adjust as needed after I see what that trail feels like, and pump back to full full road for the ride home.

Now, all my bikes are skinny tubed metal bikes where fitting the pump is easy. I'd have to do some creative thought on how to carry those pumps on a CF bike artistically. (Why CF bikes don't have little pegs molded into the head tube that might weigh 1 gram is beyond me.)

Oh, those pumps fit over the valve, then clamp on. It is really easy to wrap your hand around the pump head and lock your fingers around the spokes or thumb against the rim so the valve does not see any of your pumping force. And the on-off is really fast and easy! (With the clamping system, the gasket is so relaxed when it is off that removal with threaded valves doesn't prematurely wear out gaskets. Edit: I have never noticed breakdown from the elements, sunlight, water, grease, hot or cold in 50 years of carrying and using those pumps (and their predecessor) on every bike. I regularly get a decade or more out of gaskets, even before I owned a floor pump. They are bank breakers at about $40. (It's advisable to spend another $5 for a velcro pump strap. They have an inclination to fall off when cars are behind you.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-26-22 at 09:03 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney: