View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 12:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, we're getting older. But maybe using those lower gears means we're not getting weaker, but smarter.

I've been working to get back in shape since the beginning of last month, and my favorite training ride is Mt. Hamilton, with extended sections of 5-7%.

20+ years ago, I would do most of that ride on a 19 rear cog, dropping down to a 21 cog in the steeper spots.

Recently, I'm spending most of the time in the 21 cog, dropping down to 24 when I feel the need.

But here's the fun part: I'm not substantially slower, I'm just spinning a higher cadence. And my legs feel less spent at the end of the ride.

Seems smarter to me.
There is a canyon here which is 12 miles with a descent in the middle. The second part of the climbing is steeper than the first. I climbed it with a woman I have ridden with a lot. On the first climb I can stay with her and maybe go ahead a little. On the second, steeper section she pulls away with her 34x34 gear. I don't have trouble climbing it but I can't spin up it like she does. It makes me wonder if I could climb it faster with a lower gear. Of course, she's 10 years younger and at least 50 pounds lighter than I am.

The best climbing woman I know is a masher. She runs a standard double but I don't know what her cassette is. Her watts per kilo must be very high, she grinds those big gears and drops a lot of people. She finished 3rd woman and 36th overall in the Circle of Doom race, which is 9500 feet in 75 miles. She's going to be 50 next year, I wonder if she will consider a gear change.
Likes For big john: