View Single Post
Old 08-12-22, 12:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Since I really hate to stop, and I especially hate to leave a bike unattended, I bring my own food. Usually Clif Shot Bloks and a couple Clif Shots. I explained these to Mrs. GJ as "like chocolate pudding in a toothpaste tube." She looked at me funny, so I said, "That's better than toothpaste in a pudding cup." She agreed with that.
I don't mind stopping but we sometimes go where there is nothing. In the local mountains the one cafe burned down in the Station fire and the other one closed when covid happened. There are a couple campgrounds that have water. My friend who used to do lots of double centuries, sometimes coming in first, would eat tuna sandwiches on doubles. Another mountain goat I know would eat tuna on long rides. I tried it and it works for me. I used to buy the tuna in the foil envelope and make a sandwich on the ride.
My stomach would get upset sometimes on long rides if I ate the wrong stuff. Haven't had that issue in years partly because I rarely do long rides (80+) and I always eat by mile 30 or so. I can do a hilly 65 or 70 with one snack stop and sometimes a bar or a banana.