View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 12:32 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I fully confess that I fell into the spending trap and became a bit of a hoarder when it came to bike stuff. I was never totally out of control but about 6 years ago I moved across the country and it forced me to take inventory of all my stuff. It made me realize a few things. I couldn't remember how much money I had spent on everything but I realized that I had been somewhat foolish in my spending. While I had some decent bikes, none of them were all that special and I suspect that for the amount that I had paid for all of the stuff I had lying around I could have bought a couple of nicer more collectible bikes that I would probably get more enjoyment out of. So I sold 75% of my stuff and went cold turkey on the spending. About 6 months ago I looked at the stuff I still had lying around and most of it hadn't seen use in about 5 years and I went through another phase of purging and have sold about another $4,000 of bikes and parts. I'm taking 2 more bikes to the bike swap this weekend and then I will have eliminated most of my hoard.

I guess that my point is that over the last decade+ of being into C&V bikes I wish that I had just been more patient and careful about what I purchased. I would rather have 2 to 4 really nice, collectible bikes than 15 to 20 bikes that are just OK. Lesson learned and if spending a bit too much on my C&V hobby is the worst thing I ever do, I don't think that I'll have too much trouble sleeping at night. Now I'm just keeping my eye out for a couple of different bikes that I would really like and hoping to get lucky.
Likes For fettsvenska: