View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 01:19 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
My reality check was that none of this is expensive. That was a little freeing. I look back on bikes I thought were "expensive" and I would buy them in a second today. I am content with all my purchases. Some I move on because they don't thrill me to ride, but I've never felt I didn't get my money's worth even if I lost a few bucks. If I didn't buy a C&V bike, I would buy something new. I think the new All City steel bikes are great - good looks, good quality, good functionality. You will be in for about $2,000 for one. I have bought C&V team bikes for less and unique hand built custom C&V for a lot less. Like anything new, the second I ride that new All City or Trek or whatever out of the store, I have "lost" money. I could lose money, make money or break even on a C&V bike. Seems I am no worse off than if I bought a new bike. In the meantime, I get to ride someone's creation, someone's work of art. That is worth something to me.

Like others, I have refined what I buy over time. I have sold a lot of bikes that I bought early on. I'd have to think, but I'm not sure I own any from my first year of buying C&V as a collection. My interests are still relatively broad, but I have passed on bikes that I would have purchased three years ago.
Likes For Shrevvy: