Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
I agree that the "pepper spray" comment by the OP was excessive but how rational do you expect his 5 year old daughter to be? He's simply trying to protect her.
I get that he wants (rightfully) to protect his daughter. And if he sensed that there was an actual danger to his daughter, then by all means, use pepper spray, or whatever else you need to.

However, if he were to do it solely due to his daughters fear, I think it is the wrong approach for the reasons I stated. If anything it is just re-enforcing the daughters fear. It also may have the effect of increasing the trauma (she may fear a dog approaching her, but not want something bad to happen to the dog, and feel like she caused the dog to be sprayed).

There is a difference between understanding that dogs can be dangerous and simply being petrified of them. Of course the girl can't be BLAMED for be petrified, its just the way she is for whatever reason (in this case a previously bad experience with one), but it will be far helpful for her to understand one does not need to be categorically scared of them.

IMO better solution would be to put himself between the dog and his daughter.

AS far as the owner goes.... sure, give them hell.