View Single Post
Old 02-05-22, 11:28 AM
jtyr71 

Bikes: ROAD: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, 1974 Kabuki Diamond Tourer, 1978 Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Many thanks to tiger1964 for confirming that the 1974 Fuji Newest he is selling has the same Ishiwata fork, which supports the Fuji connection. See post #18 of the sales thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ji-newest.html
So I am about to be the new owner of noobinsf's thread starting frame. I'd like to mostly bring it back to original spec (except for downtube shifters instead of barcons) and put it in rotation as one of my regular road/gravel riders (at to my current stable: 1972 Nishiki Professional, 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki DT, 1981 Kabuki DFD CP, and a 1993 Bridgestone RB-1/8). I think with its long top tube it will be more of a flat roadie like my RB-1.

It's a really interesting combo of bike traditions: early 70s top-of-the-line Japanese steel with lots of chrome point, a very explicit reference (and, yes silly) to the Italian bikes that often inspired the Japanese, and then with McIver in Van Nuys assembling, adding their own branded headset, Phil Wood bottom bracket and hubs, there's this early California influene-- WOW there's a lot of great ingredients.

So here is a summary of the known/likely specs for a 1974 Campania Professional:
  • KKT Kyokuto Pro Ace pedals
  • SR Royal Crankset Factory Drilled RY-5ESL? Royal-5 Extra Super Light Factory Drilled
  • SR Royal ESL? Seat Post-- Milled & Fluted with Crest
  • SR Sakae Royal ESL Stem, Super Duralumin-- Milled and Drilled?
  • Phil Wood bottom bracket Phil hubs + tubular rims
  • Suntour Compe-V front
  • Suntour V(GT?)-Luxe
  • Gran Compe Side Pull Brakes
  • Suntour Barcons
  • SR rando handlebars (Road or World Champion? are likely suspects)
noobsinsf if you could confirm or elaborate on any of the above, I'd be super appreciative. Also specifically, did you keep the Phil bottom bracket or replace it? And have I assumed correctly that when you got the bike the handlebars and wheel set were already gone?

Also Texpe, with a Cyclone derailleur yours has to be a 1976 or later model but none-the-less, how do the 1974 specs compare to what you know of the original componentry of your bike?

Last edited by jtyr71; 02-05-22 at 12:05 PM.