View Single Post
Old 08-30-22, 12:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,803 Posts
The part about the way cyclists dress, in lycra and spandex and high vis helmets, being the source of the problem I find rather troubling.

Some may say we are just too damn smug. Others cannot stand the sight of our bottoms in Lycra as we wait in front of them at the lights. Sarah Mitchell, chief executive of Cycling UK, another membership organisation, thinks that special cycle clothing helps drivers to “other” cyclists, leading Australian researchers to report a few years back that a third of people see cyclists as “less than fully human”.

“People can behave aggressively towards cyclists because they see them as dehumanised,” Mitchell agrees. “One of the things I feel I have a responsibility to do as a leader of Cycling UK, and as a woman, is to cycle around in ordinary clothes.”

Some believe the wearing of hi-vis and helmets encourages drivers to behave badly. One memorable study from Dr Ian Walker of Bath University found that cars passed closer to cyclists who were wearing helmets. They also gave riders a wider berth if they thought they were women (he wore a long blond wig for that part of the experiment).