Old 08-30-22, 01:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
In the area where I live, there has been a sharp increase the past few years in auto vs. pedestrian and auto vs. cyclist accidents, many resulting in fatalities. It's not just a perception; the rate of these accidents is actually way up.

I also see and hear about a lot of speeding, aggressive driving, and distracted driving.

Surely these trends are related.

Another contributing factor could be the rapid population growth we're seeing here. More people = more traffic, and roads becoming more crowded.

It is very troubling for me as a cyclist, and I'm disappointed that the problem is not getting more attention. I mean, people are being killed every week. A high percentage are kids and youths. It happens in our cities, suburbs, and rural areas. Victims include people from all walks of life and socio-economic segments. Many incidents involve hit and run.

It's a very difficult problem.
Any "safety" dumped into mix will just result in more inconveniences to the cyclists to in-turn discourage riding the bicycle in public areas.

I value the limited number of fair weather days we get by riding as much as I can outside. It's refreshing to ride, to get in the exercise, see the community with its' changes..... but with the disregard by the public's care for our safety, I'll eventually get ran over & killed or severely injured then get obese from not being able to ride.... society will then have to bare those problems...