View Single Post
Old 07-07-22, 12:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4836 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
The Rocky Mountain Switch Ltd is a mid-2000s full-suspension bike. This was the fairly early days of full-suspension development, and things have improved a lot. It also has 26" wheels, which are nearly obsolete (current standards are 29" or 27.5"). New 26" tires can still be found, but variety and availability will continue to fade. Replacement drivetrain parts will likely be mostly what you can find on the used market (eBay, etc.). Some things can be updated to newer models, but pretty quickly, you will be spending more than what you paid for the bike. Can you ride it? Yes (assuming it's mechanically sound). Is it worth it? Maybe...maybe not. It's very possible that you might end up spending more than the purchase price to get it into reliable condition.

All that said, I took my old 1999 hardtail XC race bike, and stripped it down to a singlespeed. It's been a blast, and I ride it almost everywhere I would ride a new bike. However, I'm not new to riding, and my skills are pretty solid.