View Single Post
Old 04-29-22, 09:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i'm many years away from it, but i can speak from family experience to the fact that retirement is one of the most stressful periods of life
This was not my experience. I retired 3 years ago and the stress and anxiety of work melted away almost immediately. I hated working and hated the stress of being a couple paychecks away from poverty and possibly homelessness. I worked for 50 years and there were times when I couldn't see any way out and this was depressing.

At some point in my 60s I figured I would be able to live on SS and the relief was amazing. As soon as I turned 65 and was eligible for Medicare I was out of there. I might have stayed longer if they had started making offers to me sooner but by the time they figured out they needed me I had made up my mind.

I was a car mechanic, actually a driveability technician, at Chevrolet dealers. Commission pay, on my feet all day, outside in 100 degree weather, high stress, competing with men half my age, at least 10 cars per day...you get the picture.

I love being retired partly because I love being at home. Also love being able to ride whenever I want.