Old 07-16-22, 03:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I used Mavic A719 for a set of wheels over a decade ago, was quite happy with that. Rim brakes. I have run 32mm and 37mm tires on them. That rear wheel is still in use 18 years later. The front wheel is in storage, it would still be in use if I had bought a dynohub when I built that wheel.

And five years ago built up another touring bike, used Dyad for that. On this bike, the rear is disc and front is rim brake. Having the Dyads with machined braking surface rims, both front and rear, the rims match although the rear braking surface on the rim has never touched a brake pad. I use 37mm wide tires on this bike. On this bike I used 32 spoke front and 36 spoke rear. I had trouble finding the dynohub I wanted at that time in 36, and I decided that since a lot less weight is on the front wheel, I would settle for 32 up front, I do not regret that decision.

That said, I am convinced that I am never going to go tubeless. If you might want tubeless, other rims might be better. I suggest you decide before you buy rims if you will be staying with inner tubes or going tubeless. Then if you might go tubeless, specifically ask what rim to buy for that.