Old 07-26-22, 10:53 AM
LauraLou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for good quality mountain bike for a beginner

Hello,

I live on a ranch and am looking for a mountain bike to take on trails and ranch roads, and to take with me on my adventures to various other places where I camp, hike, and kayak/paddle board. This will be my first mountain bike to own, but I’ve been looking into the subject and researching for a little while.

I’m looking for an entry level hardtail mountain bike that will be quality from the start, offering the most value for my money in getting into the sport - something that won’t break the bank (I prefer to stay under the $900 mark, pre-upgrades); but also not a cheap option - I want something that can grow with me as I advance my riding knowledge and ability, or can be upgraded from a good bike to a great bike.

Here are a few things I’m looking for in a bike (I know that I may not find it all on one bike; but I’m looking for one that can cost effectively get most of what’s on this list):

Frame: a quality build with flat, modern geometry, good for a beginners confidence and handling of the bike

1x drivetrain

Tapered head tube

Air sprung fork (or upgrade to one)

Hydraulic disk breaks

Thru axles would be nice

Internal cable routing nice, but not necessary

Dropper post (probably something to be upgraded later down the road)

Tubeless compatible tires would also be nice

I realize that not all of these items will be found on the same bike, but hopefully I can get one with a lot of these features and upgrade a couple others (the main ones, I’m guessing, would be upgrading to air forks, maybe tires, and putting on a dropper post later on)

I’m only 5’2” and 125 lbs, so I’m guessing I’ll need a small frame bike and 27.5” wheels, although I’m open to suggestions on a 29”er.

Color and look isn’t the most important thing.. but it helps, haha. I like earthy colors / darker or richer colors. Examples: sage green or various other greens, black, dark red, dark blue, or possibly grey.

Here’s the bikes I’ve been looking at. I realize some may be more available than others, and you may have good suggestions for me, but I had to find a starting point, and so this is where I am currently doing my looking:
-Marin Bobcat
-Vitus Nucleus
-Rocky Mountain Soul 10
-Kona Fire Mountain
…………………………………

The problem I run into is that spending more like $1100-1250 seems to get you all the things I outlined, without having to do upgrades, except for the dropper post. So, the question really seems to boil down to: spend more on the bike initially and don’t upgrade anything unless I decide to add a dropper post in years to come? Or, get a little lesser expensive bike and make a couple of upgrades?

In some cases I think upgrading a bike you really like is more cost effective. For example - adding an airfork to a Marin Bobcat 4. In other cases, I think you pretty well get closer to what you want from the start by buying a little more upgraded model to begin with.

That’s the current balancing question for me, I’d say. Any suggestions on bike brands, models, upgrades, or any other advice to help me buy something quality that I can grow with, but enter into the sport cost effectively, would be appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Laura