cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Pain killers only offer temporary relief. Taking pain killers will not fix the problem. Pain killers will also delay recovery and prevent adaptations to exercise.
well, Yes and No.
Ibuprofen is used as a 'Pain Killer', but it's primary purposes are as a 'blood thinner' and anti-inflammatory...
so given a situation which is mostly crippling and inhibiting someone to function, the idea of 'adaptation to exercise' is hardly worth consideration, at that time/moment.
Delay recovery - depends...
In the OPs case, he hasn't gotten sufficient good feedback from his PROS on the issue - no real diagnosis or direction for recovery.
I suggested he use IBU for a couple of days - if he gets some indication that some relief is experienced, then there's a good assumption that 'inflammation' is directly involved , could be muscle/soft tissue. And points further where to investigate... that would be progress for him. and maybe spur some further ideas from the PROS.
Delay Recovery...
just my case... I suffered greatly for 6 months, having gone to 2 MDs, 3 chiros, and a Physical therapist - none to come up with a real diagnosis and no real treatment which had any positive effect..
Until I saw one doctor, recommended by a friend /athlete. This doc listened and asked... He came back with a number of possibilities, but said the one most likely was also the one we could treat in the most minimal way, and see if that started some relief and healing process.
Piriformis syndrome is a spasm of the piriformis muscle,(link provided) which surrounds the sciatic nerve, and if the spasm becomes chronic, long lasting, can cause serious damage to the nerve.
The piriformis is deep within the pelvic girdle and not accessible from the body surface...
I won;t go into the whole ordeal, But as noted in my prior post, Doc prescribed Motrin for extended period as treatment. It worked, took 2 months for my condition to be mostly healed and had to be strict about good hydration because of possible affects to the kidneys... Nothing else prior had any positive effect. Waiting for the piriformis to stop spasming hadn't work in all those months.
I am not suggesting the OP treat himself, just do a 2 day trial, see if it has any positive effect - THEN see his DOC and discuss further...
Blind adherence to some particular 'guideline/faith/doctrine' alone often assures that one doesn't do things which might help - being wise and aware enough to measure and observe progress or not, is important.
I'm currently battling a very serious condition for which there is no 'cure', nothing surgical, nothing wholly medicinal. So I'm throwing everything I can at it, which shows results, scientific or strong anecdotal - as long as there are no counter-indicative effects against other methods being used for me. Western Medicine, Holistic/Homeopathic medicine - I've considered a lot, decided on some, and using what My MD thinks is good and what some Holistic practitioners will benefit. So far, I'm lucky, and things are getting better, contrary to what happens to many.
I try to bring an open mind to an issue, a problem. Listen to experts from many sides, many angles. Finally leaving decisions to others, isn;t always (or even 'often') the best way to proceed.
Pain Killers are killing 'pain' because they do something else... which often is their primary effect.
It's good that they're temporary. and Yes and No, sometimes they don;t help healing, but sometimes they do - depends...
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-27-22 at 10:20 PM.