Old 07-30-22, 05:18 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I about cried when the mechanic at the shop cut out the hub for me.
I cried about that too when I had a rim fail. I would have taken them all out and mailed them home with the hub when he replaced the wheel. He was snipping them before I could say anything. Am I the only cheapskate who would lace on a new rim to the old hub using the old spokes? I have found that good spokes far outlast rims and good spokes are expensive. I have done this quite a few times and have had good spkes last trough the full life of two good quality rims and still apparently be fine. I'd consider lacing on a third rim if that guy hadn't snipped them out and may eventually do just that on the front wheel. My favorite trick is to take an identical rim (or at least one that takes the same spoke lengths) and tape it to the old rim, then loosen all the spokes and transfer them to the new one tightening the nipples until the same number of threads are showing on each one. Then tightening each one the same amount until they are all just snug. Check for roundness, trueness and dish and correct if necessary. Add tension "in layers" checking and correcting as you go.

I have done this a few times and wound up with long lasting reliable wheels. I found it quicker and easier and it is something I could do with minimal tools away from the shop even in camp if I had to.