Old 08-13-22, 11:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,601 Times in 2,907 Posts
About a month ago was out exploring and climbed a closed super steep paved single lane road. The grade ranged between 12-17% and my lungs blew up (gasping for air) after 3/4 mile. It was extremely curvy with a guard rail on one side and steep cliff on the other. It continued up god knows how far probably to a cell tower but I bagged it after I hit a false summit. Had never descended anything so mercilessly steep with my disc braked road bike. Had to ride the brakes or would flown off any number of curves and over the precipice. About 1/4 mile down, stopped the bike and the discs were so hot that placing my finger near them felt like heat radiating from a stove burner. So I waited a couple of minutes for them to cool a bit and went another quarter and stopped, rinse and repeat. If my brakes had faded or failed the acceleration would have been so fast that my only choice would have been to put it into the mountain side. Learned my lesson about descending steep climbs that give no run-offs or reprieves, as well as climbing them in the first place. Appears the road was closed for a reason.

Likes For rsbob: