Old 12-03-22, 04:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
I'm pretty certain the Pauls are straight up Mafacs geometry and use-wise. Probably more material in the arms and stiffer but that's speculation. So speaking from 55 years of Mafac Racer experience - 32c tires and the world's skinnest rims? Simply not an issue. You can go a lot wider. You will have to lift the straddle cable off one arm but that is easy. My two winter/rain/bikes use Mafac fronts. (One pair split up, The rear gets a quality bolt from say Ace hardware. A pair of Weinmanns with stiffer feel and less power are split up to be rears. Front and rear now feel the same and the front is that wonderful Mafac. Both bikes are stopper! I have to remember that the bikes behind me cannot match my stops. (They may have my brakes' power, but the Mafac "sponge" means that I do not lock up my tires and they probably will.)

Edit: I use any KoolSop pads that physically work. They're all excellent and with those brakes, work well in the wet. (So did the original Mafac pads when they were new.) Shimanos are good too. I pass on others.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-03-22 at 04:34 PM.