View Single Post
Old 10-22-21, 12:49 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 241 Posts
Its been several (like 5) years since I rode the Narrow Gauge Rail Trail (NGRT) from the Bedford Depot. For some reason, I had a negative recollection of what it was like. Today, I decided to give it another shot, and this time I thoroughly enjoyed it. It runs about 3 miles north from the Depot, and passes through a mostly wooded area, with the exception of the Bedford VA complex. The surface is similar to most of the Reformatory Trail - packed dirt with some gravel. Just north of the VA is the Fawn Lake recreational area, accessible via a short side path. It was particularly pretty on this fall day. Here is a picture of the lake:

Here is the view looking back up the side path toward NGRT:

When I got back to the Depot, I was in the mood for a little more woods riding, so I tooled around on paths in the Elm Brook Conservation area, just off the Reformatory Trail. Here is a view of the path adjacent to Elm Brook:

This path has become my favorite way to get back to the Depot from the Reformatory Trail, as it comes out on South Rd, allowing you to bypass Railroad Avenue.

After all that fun in the woods I took the Minuteman back to Arlington for a total 27 mile ride. Good stuff on a beautiful fall day.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom: