Old 11-23-19, 10:04 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Falkon
..... I don't buy cycling specific winter gear when I already have hiking and outdoors winter gear. It's pretty much the same stuff with a longer cut tail, a slightly closer fit, and at least 2x the price. Often the cycling gear doesn't even work as well and still costs more.......My idea for cold is typically a base layer and softshell jacket. If it's just stupid cold, I'll add a fleece and soft shell pants and potentially use a thicker base layer. Wrap the cycling shoes in neoprene booties, and wear wool socks. Keep your skin from being exposed with a balaclava or combination of hat and face mask and googles.
I subscribe precisely to @Falkon 's principles as described above. The three things that I would add:

1. I find a balaclava too warm in temps above 12F. I find that a polyester bandana over my mouth and nose is adequate above that temperature, and it is easy to adjust as things warm up during my commute.
  2. A light-weight breathable rain shell makes a good wind shell when you need it during winter, and packs up nicely in the pannier or backpack.
  3. Overdoing the hands and feet for warmth doesn't lead to overheating. I aim warm with the neoprene shoe wrap with aerogel footbed (down to 20F), a winter cycling boot (below 20F), and ski gloves. Lobster style ski mittens with a trigger finger are nice below 15F, others like permanent bar mitts. The key is to have a liner glove in an outer shell in case you need to remove the bulky part for dexterity when stopped.