burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It's a new generation. I have spent the last couple of months trying to temper new racer's enthusiasm without being an anchor or party pooper.

What's been kind of tricky on my end is one of the all time problems with racing that has a new "taste". Someone starts up and wants to race. Is immensely over talented. Won't stay long in the lower ranks. What races we have on the calendar now offer up way more racing as a 4 than a 5...err..."novice". Everyone on the team is encouraging this guy to upgrade to a 4 because....well... in the new USA Cycling anyone can do it at any time for any reason. I, of course, want him to learn some in races with complete newbs first and once he understands the basics like what a bell means, what a free lap is, what to do in a wreck, that corners handle differently on the last lap or two because of the increased speed, etc. So I advise him not to self upgrade until he has a few races under his belt. Then I step back and look at the big picture: USA Cycling is trying to 'build a community' and that includes lowering the perceived bar to entry. This guy isn't going to be poorly served if he instantly upgrades. Others who are walking in off the street with no experience or team support are just going to upgrade anyway (because someone on the internet told them to).

So I feel like a comedogen for telling him to wait. a bit like feeling teammates shouldn't post zwift rides I guess

One of my favorite lines I say all the time is "the best laid plans from the off season are usually abandoned by May". so it will be interesting to see how your guy's "recovery rides" pan out.
I'm not going to rain anybody's parade. I want more folks in real life riding and racing. They'll probably be fine. I really hope this Thursday I can make worlds, a fun bunch coming.

Personally, even I haven't gotten 10 mass start road events per the "old" rule so haven't "asked". No reason to. I belong in 4/5 still and therefore being a 4 or 5 makes no difference to me. I can hang with the faster guys (Cat 3's or better) fine in weeknight worlds. But doesn't mean squat for a real race. So, I get 10 starts or get some podium at some point......sure.

I was considering doing J-City omnium in the summer.....I'm skinny and it's uphill then has a tiny little TT also. But every race report coming back from our die hard master's Cat 4 guy that's on the cusp of Cat 3 is.......crashes in the field. I think out of the one out of town RR he did and the 4 crits so far......batting .750 on reporting on a crash of some kind. For somebody that went to hospital in a race crash.......not reassuring to hear about.

I just don't get how on weeknight worlds with a mix of abilities from 2/3 down to cat 5 we can shell groups to only 2 to 4 in the leading group on similar terrain they hold these road races. I guess the RR packs are too big to shell enough people and 4/5's too rabid of a bunch.

Last weeknight worlds 4 of us had shelled the 12 to 15 others by 20min or so and were gone gone.

For the crits, they're wide parking lots but their start times just don't jive with getting out of work and driving to Winston. Otherwise I would go. Our teammate that does all those out there his work is really setup well for that kind of thing.

All I've got now is the May TT thing. I'd do the one this weekend in VA but the wife has the kids on me for her last grad school projects. The local TT series by Greensboro didn't materialize. The one where the official waved me off course with 1/3 mile to go last year .

I'm praying for a cross season even if I'm not that skilled and just mid to front 1/3 pack fodder in that. It's local, fun, and most of the team does them. So really want that to come up. I may ask for an upgrade to 4 from 5 though for cross. I have start points and ride plenty smooth enough to do the 3/4 field. If I can't, I'll setup a spare wheel as single speed and run that field also.

There's a duathlon in Greensboro late summer I will do. Run, smash the bike, limp in......lose.....have fun. Given the running doesn't hurt cross fitness I could probably handle 30mpw to do better. We'll see.

I don't have anything to complain about really. Is what it is.