View Single Post
Old 11-02-22, 12:22 PM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I started riding as an adult in 1997 on Oahu. Mostly I rode like a mad-man in with traffic & drafting busses, UPS trucks & anything else that was available. I destroyed a few rear wheels blasting on to the sidewalk where traffic was too hostile for play-time. Eventually, I outfitted my mountain bike with a road crankset but the rest of the bike was too trashed to make much use of it & it made climbing the heights neighborhoods a bunch more difficult.

There is a bike path under the raised portion of the Nimitz HWY that provided easy access to the L&L that was my savior during late night rides between my GF's house in Waipahu through Pearl City to downtown. As soon as you pass the airport it's a tough go along the stroad (Ala Moana) to get to Kalakaua Avenue where all the action is. Sometimes I'd go as far as Wai'Alae Kāhala just to see what was there.

Nights after 6pm were definitely the best time to ride the urban areas. Access to the bars of the tourist hotels where often times I wouldn't have to ride home until morning was the highlight of my early 20's

But, yeah. A total & complete lack of bicycle accommodation throughout. Thinking back on it, I must've been crazy, brave, or stupid. I can only hope it's gotten better.

Welcome to the forum.
I don't think that side of the island has gotten any better but that is just my observation from a car. All my riding is on the windward side between Kaneohe and the Lighthouse...so far! I want to trek up to the North Shore and had an opportunity to scope out the path a few weeks ago by car. I'm torn because going North is really nice going with plenty of clean shoulder but the return!!! There are so many places where there is no shoulder at all, fine for a mile or two and then zero, over a tight bridge so you are instantly the obstacle of every car. I'm still getting stronger and faster though so maybe I will end up joining a group and get it done in a pack.