Old 07-22-17, 07:49 AM
valueaudio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will Tiagra RD-4700 work well with 36T rear cog?

Anyone with real world experience running a Tiagra 4700 rear derailleur with an 11-36 cassette? Capacity is stated at 34 teeth in rear. I know generally Shimano is conservative and people do run larger by adjusting the B-screw to allow room for a larger cog.

Reason for the change is that I'm converting my road bike to 1x in front, and would like a little more low range to go with the larger front ring - probably a 38T, or maybe a 40T. Also, the all-steel Tiagra cassette is very heavy, and I can lighten up about 4-5 ounces by going to 10 speed SLX or XT cassette, which Shimano shows as compatible with Tiagra up to 34T. I'll have no problem with total capacity limits.

I know on my new bike that after I adjusted the B-screw to run the cage closer to the cogs (it shifted lousy out of the shop), my shifting improved quite noticeably. So I'm wondering if I set B-Screw to back off to fit the 36T, if it might adversely affect the quality of the shifting in other gears. Hence, looking for someone who actually compared them, preferably to going up from an 11-34.

Trying to stay away from Wolftooth extensions, derailleur swaps, etc.. Thinking I may eventually switch from Tiagra to SLX shifter, SLX 11-speed derailleur, 11-speed 11-40 or 11-42 and 11-soeed chain to handle the more hilly rides. That's too much outlay though for now.