Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaben
I have a question about Flying 200 windups:

I returned for my first sprint event last week after injuring myself in January. I noticed that many of the riders taking part were heading to the rail after the first half lap and staying there for the entire wind up, rather than corkscrewing up the track as I was taught by coaches ( and also how its shown on Up!Up!Up! Save energy ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling)

I thought that the corkscrew windup was supposedly the best way to get up to speed without wasting energy etc, but many of the fastest riders were doing the "straight to the top" approach and are much more experienced than I am.

Is there a reason why this is now more popular - is there a benefit compared to the Up!Up!Up! line?

( this was on the Lee Valley indoor 250m velodrome if that makes a difference)
The trend at the top level now is to have your holder basically push you up to the rail and give you a gargantuan push to get you going. You can see all kinds of photos of this on Instagram, the coaches seem to be having a contest who can give the most outrageous running push. I'm not getting that in my races, so I still do the corkscrew.