View Single Post
Old 08-06-21, 12:34 PM
LeoNobilis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
Looking for suggestions to alternatives (non leather) to the Brooks B17. Yes, I did google it. The recommendations I found on the Web did not seem to match the width/length of the B17. (Looking to match the feel, comfort, support) I am looking for a more light weight, non leather, alternation that will be comfortable for longer distances I am doing. Yeah, I know "everyones' sit bones are different". Just curious what others are using whom formally had Brooks and switched, or whom own a Brooks and another bike/saddle combo which feel similar.
Thanks.
Pardon the belated reply. Of 30 or thereabouts saddles I've owned and / or used over the years (incl. a Brooks B17 that came with one of My bikes), the saddle of choice for Me would be a colour version (microfiber, as opposed to black (leather)) of the Selle SMP Plus. Depending on your seat bone width, an Avant or even a Lite 209 might be a better fit for you. Check out the Saddle Finder on their website (I'm not allowed to post the link). Dismiss injection-molded foam saddles (such as the TRK, Well, etc.) - these do not compare to their, unfortunately more expensive, quality touring / bikepacking saddles (i.e., Plus / Avant / Lite 209). By the way, Selle SMP classifies to this range as "gravel / cyclocross" saddles. "Thick padding" isn't thick by any measure - it's just about perfect padding - firm and the right amount. What distinguishes these saddles (and to some extent, the Brooks) - is that these saddles, much like horseback riding saddles, are meant to be sat IN, rather than ON the saddle. That alone translates to superior comfort. Also, apart from the important animal friendly nature of the colour versions of these saddles (i.e., sporting microfiber covers as opposed to leather in black versions), the colour versions are also more comfortable, as they're a quite a bit little less "sticky" (meaning, much less prone to irritate the skin) than the leather ones. This is especially noticeable in warm weather and during longer rides.
In My opinion, the Plus and the Avant are more comfortable than any Brooks B-series saddle. Additionally, they're infinitely less susceptible to damage from the elements, including sun and rain. Compared to almost any other saddle, they resolve all three of the issues saddles usually have - seat bone pain; thigh rub - and perineal numbness / genital shrink. On the negative note, they're expensive - the microfibre cover versions, unfortunately are more expensive and somewhat more difficult to come by, too - and they're fairly heavy at 300-400 grams (but so are Brooks / Anatomica leather saddles!). And worth every penny, nonetheless.
Good luck.