View Single Post
Old 08-08-21, 06:41 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
I haven't ridden a Rohloff on PBP or other long brevets but have ridden PBP and other brevets variously on derailleur, hub and fixed gears. A Sturmey 8sp hub for some brevets and 3sp hub for others (admittedly, nothing beyond SR distances). PBP03 was on a F&S Duomatic 2 speed coaster brake hub and there was undoubtedly more drag (viscous and rolling) than the derailleur gears I used for other PBPs. https://web.archive.org/web/20170608...l/bicycle/PBP/ mentions me in passing. That extra drag didn't matter though. I was riding for fun and deliberately aiming at a slower time than in '99. I had plenty of sleep and fun and got to chat with a bunch of interesting folk. Finishing PBP usually isn't something where saving an hour on the road makes a real difference. Getting the right amount of sleep and not faffing through the controls and out on the road makes the difference.

If a Rohloff is part of your dream bike, ride a Rohloff. If you want to maximise every marginal gain, then choose something else but be aware there are disadvantages to picking the lightest/ fastest whatever (e.g. how did that bottom bracket work out for you, GR62?). There are a thousand different approaches to PBP and every rider on the start line thinks that their approach is the right one and that everybody else has got it wrong.
I am not sure why you are making that wisecrack. OP asked for opinions, I think the gearing steps on the Rohloff would not work for me at all. Of course, you are happy with a 2 speed.

The crank and BB in question weigh 1450 grams. It is a Rotor RS4X and it's use has nothing to do with weight weeniism. I would explain why I use it but why bother.

I faffed a plenty. PBP 2019 took me 75 hours and I slept 4 times for a total of something like 16-20 hours. I had 7 sit down meals and stopped at 4 Cafes, IIRC.