View Single Post
Old 07-01-21, 10:11 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber

I'm pretty much in agreement, except I would remove Craftsman from the list, at least as far as screwdrivers are concerned. It pains me to do so because I have a reasonably complete set of Craftsman hand tools, but they just aren't the same as they used to be. Mine are mainly from ~2008, and they are notably inferior to my father's Craftsman tools from the 70's and 80's. They have successfully decreased their warranty costs with me, but only because I no longer bother to even return their tools for replacement when I break them. They're still perfectly serviceable for general consumer use, but I wouldn't pay any premium for them over any other big box hardware store brand.

that is a shame to hear. i haven't bought any craftsman tools in a long time. then, i see lowe's carries them a few weeks ago. i wonder if their tools (other than screwdrivers) are worth the price? i didn't bother to ask if they had the old school lifetime warranty craftsman used to have. i couldn't afford the sockets...lol. well, not the set, anyway. i did get a single 12pt 10mm with 1/2 drive. i'll likely only ever use the thing once for a number of years. needed it for the drive shaft on my honda