Old 07-29-21, 04:49 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Getting kind of nervous. I haven't been on a bike since I got hit by a car back in mid-May (and had surgery to remove some recurrent tumors from inside my leg in June). My back is still not right though my leg is healing, but I don't have a bike at the moment even if I was good to go. In physical therapy for my back they have me to a warmup on what is essentially a recumbent elliptical (I would ask for a stationary bike but they don't have one and I'm not sure my core is ready for that anyway). This morning, I was looking at the watts I was putting out in warmup and I was only doing 110-140, but after the 8 minutes, I felt like I'd been doing half an hour at 300 or more on the trainer a couple months ago. I get that the motion and positioning are different and breathing through a mask might be affecting me too (and accuracy may not be all that great), but, frick, if feels like my endurance and power have just dropped off a cliff in the last 2 months (I know my weight has gone up).
Don't underestimate the strain of surgery and physiotherapy.

I only had a finger injury and lost loads of fitness. Between anaesthesia, prophylactic antibiotics, and pain medications each surgery really messed me up.

Even the finger physiotherapy appointments were surprisingly tiring and disruptive.

Good news is it comes back fast.
Likes For Enthalpic: