juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
Birthday catch!

27 bike

That was the title of the Offerup ad with the picture above. The other pictures got my attention, but it looked pretty beat up and it was about an hour away. A few weeks later I was headed out of town to a century ride and decided to make a side trip on the way to check it out.

The seller took my offer and I left with a well worn Holdsworth Mistral with a dog's breakfast build: Dura Ace crankset, SunTour VX-GT rear derailleur, OMAS hubs laced to Araya 27" rims, Superbe brakes and a funky adjustable stem, and one of the Superbe levers butchered for use with the straight handlebar:

The lever was cut off and a lag bolt screwed into it with a piece of hose over the screw for comfort.

The seatpost came out easily, but the stem took a couple of weeks of PB Blaster and "gentle persuasion." The fixed cup was the big issue.I didn't think it would ever come out until I wiped off the grease and grime and realized it was Italian threaded. I thought maybe it was stripped at one point and re-tapped Italian, but the bottom bracket shell measures 70mm.

The paint and decals are pretty well shot, so after a tear down, reassembly with a proper drop bar, and a few test miles, I'm probably going to powder coat and get decals from Velocals.
-----

Have no before heard tell of a Holdsworthy product with an Oytoy threaded shell. Is adjustable side Oytoy as well?

Guessing it was likely reamed and retapped for repair of damaged threads.

-----