Old 04-01-22, 11:20 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Are you able to get a combined, 2 component shot, or are you going to get 2 separate shots?
I don't think they will ever combine shots from two competing companies. I got Pfizer originally, and then boosted with Moderna both times. My wife got boosted with Pfizer, and the same pharmacist wouldn't let her have Moderna for the second boost. (She played by the rules and I kind of gamed the system.)

Honestly, I don't think it matters that much. It is a bit of a surprise that Moderna elicits an IgA response. Whether that actually translates into anything useful is an entirely different (and unanswered) question. I am a bit frustrated that the turn-around for an Omicron-specific booster has been so slow. In principle, one of the major advantages of the mRNA vaccine is you can change the coding sequence very rapidly. What is clear is that this virus is going to continue to mutate and evolve to evade our immune response, so we have to be able to respond more rapidly.

I'm also not at all convinced that another booster really is necessary for most people. Most of Africa is still largely unvaccinated, and that is really short-sighted public health policy (and may be responsible for the emergence of Omicron. Similarly with India and Delta.)
Likes For Polaris OBark: