rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Fenders are a must in the PNW (to me; we have fender deniers here like everywhere). Exposed socks, as stated, are effective wicks in all cases. Exposed socks without fenders equals quick saturation.

For my commute and utility riding, I concur the Velotoze effort isn't worthwhile. 2x on/off daily would suck. I use waterproof hiking boots, flats, and low socks.

But for recreational/sport riding, Velotoze covering socks is workable. I have some Lake winter shoes that add warmth to the story, but are about as much a PITA to put on/take off.

With enough hours in enough rain, water will find a way, then you're just talking about warmth.
Exactly. I used to bike commute from Lake City to the Kirkland waterfront and then Redmond for a couple of years in all sorts of weather. Fog I really hated when the temps were near freezing. In those days it was Gortex long pants with neoprene booties, ski socks and fenders. Now retired, I am more selective about when I choose to ride or Zwift instead. A light rain is fine but no more stinking down pours.

The best was a late spring ride when it was warm and not raining and being caught in a thunderstorm near 60 Acres park between Woodinville and Redmond. I went from dry to soaked to the bone in about 10 seconds. All I could do was laugh.