cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I have had both types of bikes and sold the rear hub powered bike for a mid drive 250 wH one that weighed 43 lbs less. The key factor for hills is the nM or Newton meters of force the motor can provide to assist the pedaler going up a hill. I use my mid drive 26 lb e-bike to ride everywhere and the motor provides up to 25% of the power used on these rides. The battery provides enough juice for 12 or more hours of riding in this manner.

With the mid-drive the bike's tires, front and rear, are no more difficult to change than for a normal bike which is quite different than for a bike with a rear hub drive motor. One can carry a phone and have an account with Uber and request a pickup with a flat tire and fix it at home or have it done at a bike shop, but I prefer to fix it on the road and continue with my ride.
How much does your 26 lb. mid-drive ebike cost? is that 26 lb. ebike with battery?
How much did your hub-drive ebike with extra 43 lb. cost?
Battery provides 12 hours of riding at what speed what elevation gain?

Changing flats is more difficult on the hub-motor wheel,
but no need to take the complete wheel off the bike to change out a flat, just loosen the wheel enough to maneuver the tube would be sufficient.
Without a functioning drivetrain, the mid-drive ebike do need a Uber ride, too.. but hub-motor ebike can just throttle home without a functional drivetrain.. likely cost way less than your mid-drive ebike.. for many more Uber rides.