View Single Post
Old 06-21-16, 10:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I was recently shopping for a new taillight and settled on the Cyglolite Hotshot Micro. Very nice light for the money, about $33 at REI. Very powerful with 5 or 6 different display options and USB rechargeable. Decent run times, enough to get me through a work week of bike commuting on a single charge. And very importantly, it is designed to mount on seatposts or chainstays. I almost bought a Niterider Cherrybomb until I realized that it is designed to only mount on seatposts, a design flaw with many taillights. Do light manufacturers not realize that many cyclists use seatbags that would block a taillight mounted on a seatpost?
There are so many ways to set up a bike. No gadget works for everyone. It is odd when a tail light works only one way, but I'm sure they did a cost/benefit analysis. Sometimes for something to work very well one way, it comes at the cost of working other ways. But I'm like you, and I like my tail light to be versatile. On one of my bikes, I put the tail light mount on the seat stay but I generally hang it from my saddlebag. My saddlebag has a loop expressly for a tail light, and the place for mounting it is just about perfectly vertical.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.