View Single Post
Old 06-23-16, 07:40 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
I replaced it with the cheapest tail-light my LBS had, some Planet Bike model. It's adequate, but I don't trust it's hard plastic clip on the tail-light loops on my bags; I'm afraid I'll lose it when I hit a bump.
I mis-remembered the brand of the cheap light I got from my LBS. It's a NiteRider TL 5.0 SL. I don't love it aesthetically, and it doesn't seem terribly bright under direct sunlight, but I have a very urban commute, and I haven't gotten the feeling that I'm any less visible to traffic than I was with other tail-lights. The button works reliably (so far), which I've noticed is a weak point with some lights. A couple nice features are the flashing modes. In addition to solid-on and all 5 LEDs flashing in unison, you can also set the LEDs flashing in a chasing pattern to the left or to the right. During the day, I have the LEDs chasing to the left, hoping that encourages cars to pass on my left. Also, it has two tiny amber windows on the sides, emitting amber light to my left and right. The amber light is bright enough to splash buildings next to me at night. The light is rated at 10 lumens and takes (2) AAA batteries. It can be clipped onto a textile loop, as on a saddle bag.

I also picked up a Sigma Stereo USB-rechargeable tail-light. I haven't looked closely at it, yet, though I've used it on a few commutes. I don't think it has as much side visibility as the NiteRider, but I like it a little better aesthetically. I think it may be brighter to the rear, but I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, it has 3 modes: solid-on, quick flashing, and slow flashing. It has a plastic flap over the USB charging port that fits very tightly; I tore it up a bit trying to get it open, and I leave it loose. It uses (2) removable AAA batteries (rechargeable batteries are included). That seems in-elegant to me, but it's not bad, and you have the option to put alkalines in there if you run the rechargeables down and don't have the opportunity to recharge. It can NOT be clipped onto a textile loop, but it has stretchy rubber mounting straps in two different sizes, so you have some mounting options.

Originally Posted by noglider
There are so many ways to set up a bike. No gadget works for everyone. It is odd when a tail light works only one way, but I'm sure they did a cost/benefit analysis. Sometimes for something to work very well one way, it comes at the cost of working other ways. But I'm like you, and I like my tail light to be versatile. On one of my bikes, I put the tail light mount on the seat stay but I generally hang it from my saddlebag. My saddlebag has a loop expressly for a tail light, and the place for mounting it is just about perfectly vertical.
My rack-top bag blocks seat-post mounted tail-lights. It has a textile loop on the back for mounting a tail-light, but as I posted earlier, I lost a tail-light that was clipped to the loop when I hit a rough stretch of road. I no longer trust that mounting method.