View Single Post
Old 07-21-21, 03:36 PM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I just found a piece of steel (wrench handle, as it turned out) that would fit between the slots of the driver, clamped it in a vise, put the driver on it, and used a chain whip and cheater bar (the sprocket had probably been on there for at least half a century, with rust to show for it) to unscrew the driver. No harm done to the driver, but no great loss even if there was: the later splined driver for AW hubs is a drop-in replacement for the threaded driver and allows you to change sprockets without having to disassemble the hub.
I haven't done a ton of those but I broke the chain on my chain whip trying to remove a threaded sprocket, it wasn't particularly rusty either.
It took both heat and some penetrating oil to get it to break loose. I even bent the handle on one of my Mac Tools 1 1/4" wrench using it to hold a driver.
I had another one that I just wanted to salvage the driver and sprocket from, but instead of breaking free it shattered as the sprocket gave way. After I got it apart, the threads on the driver were all galled up, but the sprocket was salvageable and is on one of my older bikes now.