Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
Seems like if I get a flat on the road it WOULD be a pretty big deal to me. Trying to remove a presta stem AND putting a tube in a tire not meant for it AND trying to get a tubeless tire to go back on.
In my experience, its not. Taking out the presta valve is no more work than taking out a tube, putting a tube in a tubeless tire is no more work than putting it in a tube tire, and remounting the tubeless tire is no harder than mounting a tubed one. The only difference is you have some sealant to dump out, and there is not much of it.

Of course I don’t have all that much experience doing this, as I almost never get flats since going tubeless. I’ve only had to put a tube in an MTB tire twice in the past 10 years, and one time on a gravel tire when I botched the taping job on the initial setup.

So what little extra work there is during a tube installation is offset 10 times over by the fact that you are getting far fewer flats that require a tube. At least that has been my experience.

I’ve never run smaller road tires tubeless. Maybe those are different.

To answer the OPs question: for the most part, my experience is that tubeless is usually very little trouble or maintenance. Yes, you need to add sealent every so often, but there is nothing messy about it. Remove the presta valve core and inject it in.

But sometimes the initial setup can be tricky if you have never done it. In my experience, 90% of the hassles of tubeless have to do with not getting the taping right.