3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeUser393
Hey! Thanks for your reply. There are some things missing. First of all, this bicycle was advertised as being able to accommodate for a rider up to 180 cm, and I was told by Cannondale to "position the saddle so it is about the height of my hip", which is what I did. Tell me how a 180 cm guy is supposed to ride with a saddle as low down as they're now claiming it has to be? They should of given me a longer seatpost then, suitable for a 180 cm rider, if they wanted that much insert. So number one is false advertisement. Second, the owner's manual says "the seat post must be inserted a minimum of 100 mm" ~ 10cm. This falls way short of the "clear marking" they put on for save face. And while I can't be sure if the seatpost met the minimum mark, as I wasn't made aware of that in the assembly video or assembly guide, there was definitely a couple of inches inserted, otherwise it would have snapped the second I sat on it. I'm sorry if I am coming off as aggressive in my typing, £1800 is just too much to throw away just like that, not even a week of using the bike. If there is anyway at all to recover it, I have to try everything. Thanks again for your help.
...if you look above, there's a suggestion for a different style of seat post, that will work without the clamp. It will cost you a little bit of looing around to find one that works, or it might need to be custom made by someone. It works with a clamping action within the seat tube itself, like an old style quill stem.. I am sorry that you were sold a bicycle that is too small for you. There may be some culpability on the part of the people who sold it to you, but if you assembled it yourself, I doubt it.

At this point, were I in your place, I would just try to make it work with a specially adapted seat post and move on from there.

The "couple of inches" insertion advice is a bare minimum, and it refers to the lowest point where the bottom of the top tube meets the seat tube. Which is, in turn, a few inches below the top of the seat tube (the part that broke off). You really can be badly injured by this sort off failure, so it's important going forward you understand the cause and the remedy.