Old 02-21-23, 07:29 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
By frequency, do you mean sampling rate? 1 sec is pretty standard across the industry. I doubt you would find anything appreciably faster in the cycling industry.
Sampling rate is different than reporting rate. Sampling rates are hardware dependent, and typically range from around 64 Hz or so up to 200 Hz or so. ANT+ protocol is for the power meter to send packets to ANT+ compliant head units at a max of 4 Hz, though most head unit manufacturers opt to throw away 3 of 4 packets and just keep one, for 1 Hz. There are a handful of power meters that have a higher reporting frequency: the SRM Scientific used to have a reporting rate of 10 Hz, but most of the packets were identical replicates. Some manufacturers have a special transmission channel that typically uses BT rather than ANT+; Stages, for example, has a "high frequency" mode that sends time-stamped torque values at a nominal 64 Hz. I've only seen the high freq data stream from one side of a Stages so I don't know what it would look like from both right and left.