Old 03-29-23, 06:16 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
I get you. Last spring I hand stripped and repainted my Falcon. Went through a similar choosing over how to finish it but I decided to keep it period correct. I won't say I'll never strip another but the likelihood feels low. I'll spend more time looking for someone to media blast if a repaint comes up.
If you find someone in the general area who you'd trust to blast a frame, let me know! One place near me just plain said 'no' to a bike frame (but apparently a motorcycle frame would've been OK.....), another said 'maybe....' but wouldn't/couldn't give a ballpark price. The Holdsworth stripping today actually was easier than the last frame- brush on the stripper, wait a while, then I used steel wool to remove the stripper & paint. Definitely want heavy duty solvent-proof gloves, glasses, etc etc. Then some time spent with a dremel wire brush to get the crannies. Not exactly 'fun', but it was kinda satisfying!