Old 03-29-23, 08:58 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
What stripper did you use? I used Citrasolve on the Falcon and it required multiple coats and a lot of scribbing. I think the old finish had a top layer, a metallic undercoat and a surprisingly stubborn primer.
I used something called 2 Minute Stripper. It seems more powerful (and probably more toxic..) than the citrus stuff, which I used on the Valgan. But the Holdsworth was semi-stripped already. It had been repainted at some point in the past with a very thick, plastic-y glossy black paint that kind of just peeled off with a paint scraper. But the primer underneath it was really tenacious- I tried a patch a while back with the citrus stripper and it didn't do much. The 2 minute stuff did better, but I think using the steel wool with it helped a lot. If the weather isn't terrible tomorrow I might get started on the PX-10....