Old 03-30-23, 07:44 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
Thanks! I did a bunch of touchup work and it cleaned up really nicely. Rims are 700c Weinmanns - not sure what model, they have a raised center ridge. Laced to Campagnolo Tipos and the tires are Compass/ RH, I'm pretty sure they're Stampede Pass 32 width. It could take a bit wider tire but these are more than good enough. Again, Jon gets credit for a very thoughtful setup. I've changed the contact points: saddle, bars, stem and pedals and the big ring.

As an aside, @jonwvara, do you remember if the Technomics you had on that bike had been machined to fit the French steerer? That is one long stem! Maybe a 120?
Yes, I think it it a 120 stem. I sanded it down to 22.0, using medium-grit emery cloth and turning, wrapping the cloth around the stem and turning the stem around and around. The secret to a neat job is to mask off the area above where you plan to sand with tape, so you get a clean line.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara: