Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'll start with this one ...

Nutrition
-- Aim to consume approx. 200-300 calories per hour during your century or longer ride. The calories could come from liquid nutrition or from solid food.
-- Aim to drink approx. one 750 ml bottle of water, sports drink, coke, or whatever, every 1 to 1.5 hours during your ride.
-- Don't forget to consume electrolytes in food, sports drinks, or supplements.

These amounts may vary a bit, especially once you've done several centuries and have become comfortable with what works for you. But these are decent guidelines to follow at first.
This. I'll add that the first three hours are the most important. Start on your hydration and eating after the first 15 minutes. Don't wait. Eat small amounts frequently. Every 15 minutes is good. Get this hydration and feeding pattern established in the first hour and it will serve you well. How much to drink will, however vary. I believe it best to pee about every 2-3 hours. If you don't need to, you aren't drinking nearly enough for the conditions. If you have to pee every hour, you're drinking too much. Adjust your hydration to this standard as you go.

If it's hot and your forearms get dry, i.e. stop sweating, you're in trouble. Greatly increase your fluid intake. You'll probably have to stop somewhere cool and drink water with electrolytes until you have to pee. Then you'll be OK again.

If your stomach starts to feel bad, kind of sloshy, take one or two Endurolytes with water, and stop eating. Ingest plain water only, per your established schedule, until your stomach feels OK again.