View Single Post
Old 03-29-14, 11:35 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
He makes Lance look humble fer Chrissakes. His ego wouldn't fit in Madison Square Garden.

While it may seem hard to believe that anything as heavy as a Rivendell could be manufactured anywhere but the good ol' USA, many, if not most, of them are "outsourced" to Asia.
From: Atlantis - Our best selling touring bike - by Rivendell Bicycle Works

"The Atlantis used to be built by Toyo, in Japan. All new Atlantis frames are built in Wisconsin. Quality is the same, highest quality."

Read his blog. I do for laughs every now and then. He is like the worst excesses of the 41, but clad in knickers, riding a too large frame and bragging about how much it weighs. He is like Bizarro Cervelo dentist.
Can you point to these incidents?

From what I've read, he's said the frames need to be as heavy as they need to be.

"The Atlantis frame and fork weigh about a pound more (combined) than our A. Homer Hilsen, a road frame. The extra weight comes by means of stouter tubes and a wider fork crown, and pays for itself in the extra durability needed for rough riding and load-toting. A pound is hardly anything, when you consider the weight of your body and between 16 and 21 pounds of parts, wheels, racks, and fenders. So don't let that pound scare you. There isn't an ounce of fat on the Atlantis. It's just a rugged, strong bike, and one you'll likely have and ride for the rest of your life."

Hey he is filling a niche, God bless him. But the dwarven forged, sandals and seersucker BS is ludicrous, and the brand is basically the definition of cult of personality. Hey, I wish I could get people to by into my giant ego...
So have you met him? That's the question.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.