View Single Post
Old 03-30-14, 09:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
When I visited Rivendell (back in the 90s) with the thought of buying, GP gave me a dissertation explaining why his bikes were superior. It was a very good lecture and I learned a great deal about the benefits of low temp brazing, mixed tubesets, lower BBs etc. I had ridden there on my '84 Centurion, a 15 sp tourer, so maybe he thought he had a like minded fellow to sell to. The 2 bikes I demo'd were very nice, surprisingly nimble/responsive for their size. I did not think of them as heavy (no racks or fenders or stuff). They were lighter than my fendered, Tange 2 Centurion. I did think they were expensive, but he had given this 'unknown guy' who just walked-in an inordinate amount of his time. I later learned that the person who built his customs was from Wisconsin - is it Curt Goodrich? - a highly regarded framebuilder. I later met a builder (from whom I bought a bike) who repaired frames for Rivendell that described the extensive process by which GP had vetted his work. Nothing but respect for GP and his company. Craig Calfee is another I've met for whom I have utmost respect.

Edit = I don't think of people with strongly held opinions as being egotistical - maybe our definition of 'big ego' is different. Now my neighbor, who drives 2 Mercedes, has his yard professionally maintained, owns a pedigreed labradoodle, and talks about skiing champagne powder at Vail & Deer Valley - he has a big ego. GP backs up his opinion with a quality product.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-30-14 at 09:57 AM.
Likes For Wildwood: