View Single Post
Old 03-30-14, 10:18 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turky lurkey
This is an entertaining thread. Since I can't afford a Rivendell bike I can't say much about them because obviously I will choose a cheaper alternative. They do look nice in pictures. I read/skimmed Grant Peterson's book "Just Ride" one evening at a book store. I definitely got the impression that he is a very opinionated guy and thinks highly of his opinions. I found it a bit contradictory though that his book is titled "Just Ride". He is extremely specific about the way people should ride bikes, the type of bikes they should ride and the type of clothing they should wear. Maybe he should have titled the book: Just Ride As Long As You Do It My Way. I also found some of his theories a little ridiculous. For example, he suggests swerving around a bit and acting a little out of control while riding in traffic in order to make sure drivers are aware of you.
And if you read it more carefully I think it's clear that he is not saying his way is the only way, but rather presenting an alternative to the vast majority of people in the US (not including those here in C&V) who think that riding a bike has to involve lycra, carbon, etc. and is only for workouts or racing.