View Single Post
Old 10-25-17, 06:53 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
1986 Custom Fuji Frame or is it?

Just acquired this frame (52cm C-T) and it was sold as being Fuji and all indications I come up with seem to agree with that. However, this is NOT a standard frame from a bike presented in their catalogs! I am providing pictures that show some of the items I will discuss here. My goal is to get any additional insight from the Fuji experts on the forum. Here are some of the pictures and highlights:

- Bottom Bracket (BB) underside has the serial number C652. That means it was made in March of 1986 and was the 52nd frame produced. These special four (sometime five) character serial numbers were reserved for the Fuji Opus III from 1984 onward or their hand-built 'Design Series' from 1986-1988 time frame. Also, perhaps used for any fully custom builds, like perhaps this frame?

- The BB is almost identical to what appears on the mid-80's Opus III bikes.

- The color of this bike matches nothing I've seen in any of the Fuji catalogs, i.e. a metallic purple. Paint job is very well done and professional. Notice there are no decals on this frame at all. Nor do I see any remnants of there ever being any decals on it.

- The fork is standard Fuji. It is an Ishiwata make, which was common for the Fuji's in the 70-80's time frame. Fork tube has the standard JIS stamp, ISHIWATA and the '6.C' Not sure if the 6.C is a date code? Naturally the sloping fork crown has the engraved F surrounded by a circular leafing. I think this is a post 1984 fork engraving style. Bottom line is this is a Fuji fork and appear to be the exact model they used on their custom Design Series. This fork is all chrome and there are no signs of residual paint if it had ever been painted - but that doesn't mean it wasn't at one time.

- The chroming on the rear stays is very reminiscent of that used by many companies in the 1970's. Usually by the mid-80's chrome was reserved for dropout ends and lugs, maybe the chain side of the chainstay too. However, remember the S/N dates this frame to 1986!

- The dropouts front and rear are chromed Suntour Superbe Pro's. So this is definitely a higher-end frame.

- The shift cables ran below the BB. You can even see the cable rub marks indicating they were being used. Also, the rear derailleur cable stop braze-on is located on the underside of the chainstay (5mm casing stop).

- Really Weird Item #1. On the lower portion of the non-driveside on the top-tube are two braze-on cable guides. When I saw this frame initially I thought these were cable stops, but they are not. The weird part is they are made for the 4mm cable jacket size. Their placement indicates these would most likely be for the rear brake cables, but 4mm is usually reserved for derailleur cables only! Yes, I thought it could be a drop-down run for a front derailleur, but that doesn't make sense as the BB has the guides for both derailleur runs and they have been used. Anyone have a guess why they would have used 4mm guides along the top tube? BTW, I plan on using these for the rear brake run by inserting 4mm to 5mm stop ferrule reducer adapters into each of these guide braze-ons. I will run 5mm cable jackets fore and aft and only bare cable between the two guides along the top tube.

- Really Weird Item #2. The lugs on the head-tube are a bit more fancy than the Ishiwata brand versions I've seen on 70-80's vintage Fuji's. So these may be made by a different manufacturer. Does anyone recognize these lugs? Note: These front lugs have no cutouts! My 1980 Fuji Newest has the heart shaped cutouts on the top of both tube lugs.

- Both brake mounts are designed for sleeve nuts (hidden).

- I have no idea what frame material is used. In this time frame the Opus III and the Design Series used Ishiwata 019E (Fuji 9658 Quad-butted CoMo). There is a bit of the down-tube that I can access via the BB inside, but I will need to make a measurement tool to get at it, as my dial calipers won't do it. Knowing the end thickness of that tube might tell me if it is possibly 019E. BTW, the frame and fork weigh in at 5.92lbs (2685 grams). Normally they take away the brazing and lugs when specify frame weight in tubing catalogs and a good reference weight for those would be around 625-650 grams. So that puts this frame set at around 2025 grams which is in line with the 019E tubing specs +/- 100g.

- Overall the finish has survived well on this frame. I'd rate the chrome at a 9 out of 10. I will need to keep it waxed due to fine pitting that is occurring in some areas. The paint has the most chips on the drive-side on the top-tube and upper seatstay. I should be able to touch those up fairly easily. Funny there are no scratches near where the front derailleur would be mounted. That's something I rarely see!

- Components that came with this frame: It appears that parts must have been swapped out over the years. It did come with a Suntour Superbe SP-SB00-L seatpost (@ 26.8mm another standard for Fuji high-end frames), WooHoo (which also has a Fuji branding on the front side). A Hatta Vesta headset and the Shimano BB Set. The person I bought the frame from told me it had Shimano 600 and Suntour XC Components On it, so definitely a hodgepodge of components.

I've been wanting a frame to build up a last generation Suntour Superbe Pro Group set on. I've had my mind set on a frame with chromed Superbe Pro dropouts and this one fit the bill. I will use the final Accushift derailleurs with the handlebar Command Shifters (7-Speed Freewheel). SB Pro hubs too. Basically a bike that shows the best and final hurrah lineup that Suntour had to offer. I even plan on a final decal workup to replicate the Suntour SUPERBE tradeshow demonstrator bikes that appears in some of the catalogs of that timeframe.

I'd be interested in any input on this frame that anyone here can provide. Did Fuji make many custom frames during the mid-to-late 1980's? Outside the items presented as 'Weird #1 and #2' and the overall color, this frame is very much like those offered under the Design Series in 1986 and 1987.

Last edited by Don Buska; 10-25-17 at 08:07 PM.