View Single Post
Old 01-23-21, 06:50 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Are we talking about terms kinda limited to C&V discussions, or to the nerdier bicycle world in general? Kinda feels like we're throwing a wider net?

Already mentioned, but some add'l throughts:

BSO = Bike-Shaped Object: implied in Wildwood's post, but to spell it out---cheap/crappy/heavy extremely low-end bike that resembles a bicycle, but rides like crap
Flip: to sell an item, ostensibly for profit; this can simply mean "sell/sold" ("I bought it, rode it a while but didn't really like it, so I flipped it.") or something bought with the intention to resell ("I bought it to flip.")
Flipper: usually refers to a seller who appears to primarily buy product to resell it; strike me as used mostly disparagingly, especially when the offered items are overpriced or poorly/inaccurately described
DKO Flipper: I don't know what DKO stands for.....
Drew/Drewed: already defined pretty well, but just wanted to add that I think the term came into use during the fixie craze, when many frames were Drewed to better resemble purpose-built track/fixed frames

Not yet mentioned:

Restomod/Restomod: older frame built with modern parts, I think the term comes from the car restoration world?
1x/2x/3x: single/double/triple chainrings (prounounced "1-by," "2-by," "3-by")
1xZ/2xZ/3xZ: front/rear gearing, as in 1x9 meaning 1 chainring, 9 cogs ("1-by-nine")