View Single Post
Old 09-21-21, 01:36 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I am disappointed that you are not getting responses. I did read somewhere online that it could take as long as a year to "bed in" the brake shoe to the drum. That is a bit surprising since the drums are made to the same size from the Sturmey Archer factory and unlike a car don't get worn away that fast. The wear item is the brake shoes. So, swapping the brake assembly, I believe will result in a slight difference, but I would believe that it should be less than you have.

From your newer video, it looks like your thick nut is now acting as the jam nut and your jam nut is acting as a washer. This should be ok. Now that you have the play out of the wheel, you still have the same issue: Not enough stopping power. And the front brake doesn't sound right either.

I'd look at the front brake first. It does most of the stopping and the fix my be simple.

Where are the Sturmey Archer experts???