just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by jcsimko
Hi Everyone,

I believe that I have identified the root cause of my on-going headaches and fatigue. I looked back at any new supplements that I started this year and identified that I had started to take l-theanine in February and Apigenin in March to help with my sleep. While taking them I was able to achieve a more consistent sleep pattern. I decided to stop taking both of them on December 16. Since then I have not experienced headaches or fatigue. Furthermore, I have been able to increase the intensity and duration of my workouts without any negative side effects. I haven't gone on any serious bike rides since the weather has been crappy where I live, but I have gone to the gym multiple times with positive outcomes. I don't know if one of them, or the combination, or the duration of taking them was the root cause, but I feel very confident that I am back to my old self since stopping them.

I truly appreciate everyone's help in trying to get to the bottom of my symptoms.

Happy and Safe New Year!

Thanks,

John
That's really interesting. The literature I've found mentions headache as being a possible side effect of l-theanine. I don't find anything relating to your symptoms for Apigenin.

For a sleep aid, I've found 100mg of melatonin to work very well. In fact I try to take it about an hour before bedtime because by the end of that time I'm fairly useless. That's another hormone which normally declines with age. Note that melatonin is reported to have similar side effects to l-theanine, though I've been taking it daily for a couple of years with no issues. But everyone's different.

Glad that you got that fixed and thanks for posting the fix.