View Single Post
Old 06-18-22, 09:18 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I have a hypercracker that has worked in the past. If I can’t make that work, I am willing to get the proper tools or have a shop install the new cogs.

i don’t have a work bench, so don’t have a vice.
Vices are for shops, we almost never removed the cassette tool, just drop wheels on and go, but its never been necessary for cassette removal or install. Don't cobble the job, get the park tool chain whip. You'll obviously need a cassette tool. If you have a 1" wrench it'll go a long way toward preventing the tool from slipping out of the lock ring, but an adjustable will work fine, the part people miss is to get the wrench as close to the lock ring as possible even if it isn't fully on the lock ring tool, it prevents the lock ring tool from twisting out. Cassette wise, get the best shimano or sram you can find, they don't make really high quality any more so they're not that expensive but the better ones do shift better and weight less.