Old 12-06-22, 02:28 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
OK, vittoria cement is much sloppier than Clement cement.

I made a mess. All over the sidewalls. What I don't want to do is use some chemical that will weaken the structural element and cause them to blow out earlier than normal.

What would you use to clean off too much cement?
I've no comment on the clean-up. I try not to get too messy. I don't recall if you said how you applied glue, but I'll summarize how I do it without any mess.
  • It goes without saying that the tires must already be stretched.
  • I use effectively disposable acid/welding/paste brushes — available at your local big box home center (or Amazon)
  • I load up the brush reasonably well. On the rim (mounted in my truing stand), I tend to attack four or five spaces at once (never in the eyelets! — a pox on people who do that). Dab, dab, dab, dab, then work back over the four spots with the brush to cover edge-to-edge. A bit of light pressure and the brush fans out perfectly.
  • I inflate the tire a bit, just enough to hold its shape, stand it on the workbench and lean it against the pegboard. Again, load the brush up, then drag down the center of the base tape and feather out to the edges at an angle (like a chevron). The first coat soaks up a bunch more glue than the second.
I won't comment much on how many coats of glue to use or the spacing between coats. I generally apply two to new tires (that first coat pretty much disappears). Beyond that, I've tried any number of possible glue coats and set times. It's all good as far as I can tell. While you wait for the glue job to dry after mounting the tire, pump it well up (100psi minimum). The base tape must dip all the way down into the depression in the rim to get full contact from edge to edge. I'm never in much of a hurry, so I generally let it sit like that for a day or two before lowering the inflation to riding pressure.